JDeveloper on OS X

When I have time I try to keep up with a variety of IDEs.  JDeveloper is one I have mentioned before (and encountered OS X installation difficulty before as well).  I don't disklike it although it still seems a bit bloated to me but I have not yet tried to tweak the settings.

This time ADF was my main reason to give JDeveloper another look.  I downloaded the Generic version because I intended to run it on a Mac (running OS X 10.8.3).  Being a command-line guy my first attempt was a simple

java -jar jdevstudio11123install.jar

Unfortunately after the initial splash screen, this resulted in a small dialog box with a Exit button.  I could not maximize it to complete the installation process.



Next I tried to launch the jar file via the GUI which gave the same results.  Looking around the web, I did find several solutions for this problem but some seemed complicated while others did not address this particular issue.  [My own previous solution was slightly more involved than this one.]

Ultimately I used these two commands to get the installer to use Java 6 instead of the default on my machine Java 7.


~ cjm$ export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Home
~ cjm$ $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -jar jdevstudio11123install.jar

This got me here so I could complete the installation.



Hopefully I'll make some time to play with ADF and blog about it.

HTH,
Carl


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ClassCastException: JAXB

Minishift on HyperV

Parallel to Lincoln's angry letters never sent concept...